Support & FAQ
Our versioning follows VMware's versioning for extra simplicity. VMcom versions starting with 7.0 therefore support vSphere 7.0 and lower. Versions starting with 6.7 support vSphere 6.7 and lower. Updates have never been easier.
- Unique features
- WHAT IS VMCOM BACKUP APPLIANCE?
- VMcom Backup Appliance is a software which provides reliable recovery of virtualised applications and data running on VMware platform. It is a Linux based virtual appliance meaning no need for additional OS or DB licensing. With VMcom, you can protect all your data from virtual machines and also assign a limited access to particular tenants.
- IS VMCOM BACKUP APPLIANCE A CLOUD BACKUP-AS-A-SERVICE (BAAS) OR ON-PREMISE BACKUP SOFTWARE?
- VMcom Backup Appliance is offered as an on-premise backup appliance. For its operation 1vCPU, 2GB RAM and 40GB of storage is required.
- WHICH VIRTUAL PLATFORMS DO YOU SUPPORT?
- Currently, we support VMWare and support it well. VMcom releases are numbered to match VMware to make it easier for you. In time, we will add HyperV and KVM.
- CAN VMCOM REPLACE VMWARE DATA PROTECTION WHICH IS EOL?
- Yes! VMcom is an excellent replacement for VMware Data Protection. For more details, check our VDP replacement page.
- WHAT IS UNIQUE ABOUT VMCOM BACKUP APPLIANCE?
Backup and recovery software has the same core feature set. Delivered by a group of programmers, massaged by marketing people, and over sold by energetic salespeople. You know how it works.
VMcom is different. We are IT Admins who endured the pain of various “state-of-the-art” solutions. We said enough and in 2015 started development of a solution that works for IT Admins, not the other way around! Here is how we do it.
Easy testing – try our online trial. All you need is a browser. No commitment, you can download later.
1 all-inclusive license – no more comparing editions. VMcom has everything you need. You just decide for perpetual or usage subscription.
1 license key forever – upgrades, extensions, no worries. With us you the same license key forever.
1 button to update – just click update button from the GUI. Also, we follow VMware version numbering to keep it easy.
Product features (full product specs are here):
Universal backup – deduplication across a range of VMs not just one at a time. This saves considerable storage space and costs. See our blog for real life story.
Multitenancy – You will love this. Delegate routine IT Admin backup and recovery tasks along with storage limits. That is real multitenancy unlike our competitors who only offer storage quotas. If you’re a service provider, you can assign admin tasks to your customers where needed.
Support Buddy – Directly from the GUI, you can request support and open a SSH secure VPN tunnel so we can remote in and fix any issues. No need for team viewer or orther tools.
100% web based admin – Unlike most or our competitors, we consider this a standard feature and we’re shocked others don’t have it or charge for it! With us, you can access your backup & recovery anytime, anywhere through your favorite browser.
Fair price – we give you the features you really need at a price that works.
Transparent pricing – check out our price online. Pricing is simple and no hidden costs.
Immediate license delivery – no waiting for an invoice or license key. With VMcom you can order and pay online and get your key immediately.
Easy payment – Bank transfer, credit card, or PayPal – whichever is easiest for you.
VMcom – made for IT Admins by IT Admins.
- WHAT IS UNIVERSAL BACKUP & WHY DOES VMCOM USE IT ?
- Universal backup is when you take a group of "repeated" virtual machines and backup them up at once. VMcom uses top notch deduplication to reduce the footprint by taking out anything that is shared among 2 or more of the VMs in the group. For example, if the OS is common to all the VMs, the OS will only be backed up in the first VM and then "shared" by all the others. This give VMcom a smaller footprint for backups. On the flip side, it makes it harder to have granular reporting about saved space per backed up VM. Rather, VMcom saved space reports take an average of all the VMs in the group.
- HOW DO I GET SUPPORT?
- Support from VMcom is easy. You can write directly to [email protected] with logs and description. Or, you can access us via the VMcom service buddy which you'll find in the GUI under system settings. We can then easily remote in to trouble shoot. You must have support purchased to make use of VMcom support.
- WHAT IS INCLUDED IN SUPPORT?
- An active SLA and support ensures we provide a valuable response to your email to [email protected] or your request via VMcom support buddy found in system settings of your installation. In addition to getting great support, you will also have right to service releases along with minor and major releases. And remember, applying a new release is simple. Just go to system settings and click check for updates.
- HOW IS VMCOM BACKUP APPLIANCE LICENSED?
- VMcom Backup Appliance offers two license models - Perpetual and Usage based subscription. Perpetual licensing is a single payment and calculated based on the number of CPU sockets you need to cover. Usage based subscription license is based on number of virtual machines backed up in the given month. Thanks to automated usage reporting, there is no need to create reports manually. What's more, you will only ever see one license key from us. Upgrading, renewing support, adding CPU, etc. - you never need to apply a new key. We take care of it - Easy. In addition to choosing which license type is best for you, you choose one of 3 levels of support.
- DO I NEED TO WORRY ABOUT ADDITIONAL 3RD PARTY LICENSING?
- Not at all! VMcom backup appliance is a linux based appliance. You have everything you need inside - Operating system, database, etc.
- HOW DO I BUY OR SUBSCRIBE TO VMCOM BACKUP APPLIANCE?
- We've made it easy to start using VMcom. You can order directly from VMcom online. Just go to our buy tab and follow instructions. For perpetual license, you enter the number of CPUs you have, choose your service level, and choose number of years for service. One year of bronze is minimum. You can then pay via bank transfer, credit card, or PayPal. You'll receive your license within two business days. For Usage based subscription, choose the support level you need, fill in all of your company details and order. You'll receive your license key within 2 working days. You'll receive your first invoice at the end of the first month. The invoice will be based on the number of virtual machines which were backed up during the month. And remember, if you backup the given VM once or a million times in the month, we charge it once - for the first instance of backup. Usage is reported to VMcom automatically and the invoice is sent automatically the email you define.
- HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
- VMcom pricing is transparent and fair. Prices are published on our web pages in the BUY section. For perpetual license, you count up number of CPU sockets you need to cover and then add the yearly cost of the support level you need. And that is all you will ever pay. Usage based subscription licensing can vary depending on how many virtual machines you actually back up in the month. The pricing for usage based subscription is also in our BUY section.
- WHICH EDITION SHOULD I CHOOSE?
- Great news, that's easy. VMcom publishes just one edition. This keeps it easy. No more trying to figure out which edition and add ons you need. With VMcom - you get it all at one price.
- CAN I START SMALL AND THEN GROW OR SCALE?
- Sure. If you are using a perpetual license, just order more CPUs. You won't need a new license key. Just go to system settings and click update license. Subscription scales automatically. You can keep backing up more and more VMs without any changes to your license key. The only thing that will change will be the amount on your monthly invoice.