Backup Appliance by VMcom
A must-have backup software for VMware vSphere. Designed and backed by experienced administrators.
- WHAT IS VMCOM BACKUP APPLIANCE?
- VMcom Backup Appliance is a software which provides reliable recovery of virtualized applications and data running on VMware platform. With VMcom, you can protect all your data from virtual machines and also assign a limited access to particular tenants.
- WHAT IS UNIQUE ABOUT VMCOM BACKUP APPLIANCE?
- We at VMcom have mastered the multi-tenancy of the backup solution in public cloud. Thanks to VMcom Backup Appliance, any provider of VMware public cloud is now able to assign privileges for backup and recovery of selected virtual machines to specific users. Backup and restore can be then managed by users themselves.
- HOW IS VMCOM BACKUP APPLIANCE LICENSED?
- VMcom Backup Appliance offers two license models - Perpetual and Usage based subscription.
Perpetual licensing is a single payment and calculated based on the number of CPU sockets you need to cover.
Usage based subscription license is based on number of virtual machines backed up in the given month. Thanks to automated usage reporting, there is no need to create reports manually. What's more, you will only ever see one license key from us. Upgrading, renewing support, adding CPU, etc. - you never need to apply a new key. We take care of it - Easy.
In addition to choosing which license type is best for you, you choose one of 3 levels of support.
- IS VMCOM BACKUP APPLIANCE A CLOUD BACKUP-AS-A-SERVICE (BAAS) OR ON-PREMISE BACKUP SOFTWARE?
- VMcom Backup Appliance is offered as an on-premise backup appliance. For its operation 1vCPU, 2GB RAM and 40GB of storage is required.
- DO I NEED TO WORRY ABOUT ADDITIONAL 3RD PARTY LICENSING?
- Not at all! VMcom backup appliance is a linux based appliance. You have everything you need inside - Operating system, database, etc.
- WHICH VIRTUAL PLATFORMS DO YOU SUPPORT?
- Currently, we support VMWare and support it well. VMcom releases are numbered to match VMware to make it easier for you. In time, we will add HyperV and KVM.
- HOW DO I GET SUPPORT?
- Support from VMcom is easy. You can write directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with logs and description. Or, you can access us via the VMcom service buddy which you'll find in the GUI under system settings. We can then easily remote in to trouble shoot. You must have support purchased to make use of VMcom support.
- HOW DO I BUY OR SUBSCRIBE TO VMCOM BACKUP APPLIANCE?
- We've made it easy to start using VMcom. You can order directly from VMcom online. Just go to our buy tab and follow instructions.
For perpetual license, you enter the number of CPUs you have, choose your service level, and choose number of years for service. One year of bronze is minimum. You can then pay via bank transfer, credit card, or PayPal. You'll receive your license within two business days. For Usage based subscription, choose the support level you need, fill in all of your company details and order. You'll receive your license key within 2 working days. You'll receive your first invoice at the end of the first month. The invoice will be based on the number of virtual machines which were backed up during the month. And remember, if you backup the given VM once or a million times in the month, we charge it once - for the first instance of backup. Usage is reported to VMcom automatically and the invoice is sent automatically the email you define.
- WHAT IS INCLUDED IN SUPPORT?
- The support level - Bronze, Silver, Gold - indicates how fast we provide a valuable response to your email to email@example.com or your request via VMcom support buddy found in system settings of your installation. In addition to getting great support, you will also have right to service releases along with minor and major releases. And remember, applying a new release is simple. Just go to system settings and click check for updates.
- WHAT IS UNIVERSAL BACKUP & WHY DOES VMCOM USE IT ?
- Universal backup is when you take a group of "repeated" virtual machines and backup them up at once. VMcom uses top notch deduplication to reduce the footprint by taking out anything that is shared among 2 or more of the VMs in the group. For example, if the OS is common to all the VMs, the OS will only be backed up in the first VM and then "shared" by all the others. This give VMcom a smaller footprint for backups. On the flip side, it makes it harder to have granular reporting about saved space per backed up VM. Rather, VMcom saved space reports take an average of all the VMs in the group.
- HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
- VMcom pricing is transparent and fair. Prices are published on our web pages in the BUY section. For perpetual license, you count up number of CPU sockets you need to cover and then add the yearly cost of the support level you need. And that is all you will ever pay. Usage based subscription licensing can vary depending on how many virtual machines you actually back up in the month. The pricing for usage based subscription is also in our BUY section.
- WHICH EDITION SHOULD I CHOOSE?
- Great news, that's easy. VMcom publishes just one edition. This keeps it easy. No more trying to figure out which edition and add ons you need. With VMcom - you get it all at one price.
- CAN I START SMALL AND THEN GROW OR SCALE?
- Sure. If you are using a perpetual license, just order more CPUs. You won't need a new license key. Just go to system settings and click update license. Subscription scales automatically. You can keep backing up more and more VMs without any changes to your license key. The only thing that will change will be the amount on your monthly invoice.